Math for Kids at Brighterly: Your Best Mathematics Help
Statistically, 93% of Americans have math anxiety. It is a real struggle when your kid asks you to help them with math homework. But not it’s your fault, nor is it your child’s.
Being bad at math is a myth that originates from insufficient math learning programs at school. Instead of explaining mathematical concepts, schools try to stuff as much information into students’ heads as possible. Eventually, nobody understands or cares about it, unable to draw parallels between abstract equations and the real world.
If it sounds familiar to you, and your kid struggles with numbers and formulas, you’re in the right place. Perhaps, you began to learn mathematics for kids on your own. But the truth is, you don’t need to do this alone.
At Brighterly, we will help you, as a parent, make math for little kids as enjoyable and easy to understand as possible.
How to Teach Kids Math that Matters in the Real World?
It seems like school math teaching methods are designed to make your children suffer. Solving countless equations and moisturizing notebooks with tears doesn’t help. It’s much better to teach math to children through games and real-world interactions.
Researchers suggest that the human brain remembers and digests emotional events and experiences better than neutral ones.
As kids learn this world through emotion and joy, real-life math games with real rewards will help them master complex concepts much faster.
Also, try to incorporate basic maths for kids into their day-to-day activities. If you need to cut vegetables for a morning salad, ask your kids to give you three cucumbers and two tomatoes. If you go shopping with your child, count money together, and so on.
In this way, your kid will realize that math exists beyond boring classes and scrawled notebooks. You can also help your child learn to count using money. Pay them for housework, and you will see them quickly calculate how much money they can collect and what toys they can buy with it.
Must Have Resources for Learning Math Online
You can teach math to your kids in numerous ways, and this section will address some of them. The following approaches make learning seamless for kids and reduce the workload of teachers.
To solve arithmetic problems efficiently, kids should be introduced to various mathematical tools. Kids would benefit most from worksheets covering addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, shape recognition, and fractions.
Worksheets supplement math training for kids and help them think critically, identify errors, and understand concepts succinctly. In addition, worksheets’ images and stepwise patterns help students understand and apply mathematical concepts. Rather than just passively ingesting video and audio content, students can participate actively in the learning process by answering a wide range of questions.
Using games, you can help your kids with maths concepts that they may find complex. You only need to show them how to play arithmetic games, then let the power of curiosity take over.
But remember that rules, objectives, and competition are hallmarks of enjoyable and effective math games. Before starting to play, explain to your kids the expectations and guidelines. Competition is significant because it presents a challenge to children.
Math Riddles and Puzzles
Using mathematical logic puzzles and brainteasers is an excellent approach to encourage pupils to think “outside the box,” strengthen their problem-solving skills, and expand their mathematical imagination. Students who use math puzzles, with or without instructor supervision, have higher problem-solving skills, learning ability, and persistence in difficult situations.
How-to Math Videos
Entertaining and informative videos can help kids learn more seamlessly. To boost your student’s learning speed, introduce math visually to them. Regardless of their academic grade, you will find a suitable visual on math websites for kids. There is a good chance that your child or student will learn the fundamental concepts of math and dig deeper into topics with the help of these entertaining and informative videos.
Math Tests Practice
Mathematical training has been found to enhance curiosity, creativity, and resourcefulness. The efficiency of math tests is explained by the fact that mathematical problems stretch mental muscles. When you solve math problems, in most cases, the first approach does not work. To find a solution, you must teach your kids to be adaptable and resourceful in their thinking. As kids continue to solve, learn, and master various math concepts, their creativity will also increase.
10 Things Parents Should Know about Math
Ensuring your kids are exceptional in mathematics requires you to play a vital role in providing math help, and the following points are essential to note:
- It is crucial to nurture the capacity of your kids’ minds for mathematical inquiry from an early age. Kindergarten arithmetic knowledge can help ascertain how good a kid will be later at math. Early math success predicts a child’s future academic success better than attention and reading abilities.
- It is essential to engage your kids with mathematical activities regularly. You boost their proficiency in the subject by making the most of every learning opportunity. Every chance to practice arithmetic is like a power outlet, recharging a child’s batteries for future learning of math concepts and lessons.
- Counting, recognizing forms, measuring, sorting, constructing, observing patterns, comparing, and describing the environment are essential math ideas. Incorporating these topics into math classes will boost your kids’ understanding of math.
- Mathematical discourse is crucial and valuable in kids’ learning. Studies have shown that even a modest mathematical discourse – for example, asking how many balls would remain after adding or subtracting one – can have significant effects.
- You must believe in your child’s ability to learn and improve in mathematics. Developing a growth mindset, the conviction that one can improve one’s mathematical skills through practice and effort is significant in encouraging kids to learn.
- Children learn more when focusing on solving problems rather than getting the proper answer. So, teach them to enjoy the process more than the surge of adrenaline that comes from getting the right answer.
- Children pick up on their parents’ attitudes toward everything. So, your children will pick up on your comments like, “Some people are just not good at math.” Rather than saying you’re not good at math, tell your kids how fun math is. The way you speak and act has an impact on your kids’ performance in mathematics.
- Developing a fondness for mathematics is something you can do in a variety of scenarios. Cooking, setting the table, and strolling around the block are good opportunities to engage in math conversation and fun arithmetic activities. It suffices to state that there is no predefined setting to learn math; therefore, you must learn in any way that appeals to you.
- Recognize your ill feelings towards arithmetic and your anxiety while solving math. However, don’t stop making progress or pushing your kids to succeed, regardless of your feelings.
- Making mistakes is a necessary part of learning. To learn math, you must have a “never die” attitude. Regardless of how many times you fail, you must keep trying.
How to Help Kids with Math?
To most people, math is a challenging course. However, with the right approach, your kids can be proficient in less time. Below are some ideas to provide math help for kids.
Try New Math Exercises
There are a variety of math-related activities you may set up at home to help your kid learn. One activity you can try is inviting other kids around your neighborhood for some math-related fun. In addition, you can create other fun activities to make your kids master mathematics more seamlessly.
Teach with Videos
Your kid might take longer than average to get through a math problem. In that situation, you can help them access visual courses that they can rewind and pause as much as they like to learn at their own pace. Using visuals removes the need to wait until a teacher is free before approaching them for assistance. Furthermore, many students are hesitant to ask their tutors questions. Therefore, they can study at their own pace with the help of visual lessons.
Despite what some people may claim, mathematics is the bedrock upon which other thoughts rest. Teaching your youngster math is a great way to develop their imagination. For example, when your kid uses scraps of paper to make a paper plane, that’s evidence of their ability to evaluate patterns and proportions. Therefore, you must encourage them to continue developing their understanding of patterns.
Build the Desire to Learn
The study of math for kids is not intended to dampen kids’ enthusiasm. In most cases, when kids’ self-esteem soars, their desire to learn will grow as they continue to solve and understand complex concepts. They will participate more actively in class and exhibit more incredible excitement for learning in general.
Boost a Kid’s Self-esteem
Your child’s self-esteem will soar if you take the time to tutor them in mathematics. But when your kid has trouble with even the most elementary math concepts, it can undermine their confidence and cause them to lose interest in school altogether. If your child struggles in math class, they may feel inferior to their peers and refuse to attend school. As a tutor or parent, you must aim to build their confidence.
Your youngster will gain self-assurance and a willingness to take on math problems when you provide the appropriate support. Their newfound confidence will also help them tackle other challenging courses.
Many professions rely heavily on mathematical skills. For instance, creating journals and balance sheets requires an understanding of fundamental mathematics accountants must acquire. Architects need to know measurement and pattern equations to construct sound structures like engineers do. So, encourage your child’s mathematical development.
|👩🏫 1:1 Tutoring||Live personalized lessons|
|🎓 Better Grades||Help with homework|
|✅ Math Skills||Worksheets for self-paced learning|
|⭐ FREE Demo||Knowledge assessment with report|
|🚀 Math Confidence||Understand math, not memorize|
|📚 Curriculum||Common Core & STEM Accredited|
Learn Math Online vs Offline
One advantage of online math classes is their accessibility. You can access an online class regardless of location or time. In addition, the internet has made it possible for students to access course materials from the comfort of their own homes. Thanks to programs like Zoom and Microsoft Team, today’s teachers can help kids learn math online. Also, tutors will not have to leave their homes.
Offline math classes require a trip to your school’s physical site. A classroom or lecture is necessary for learning to take place. Some pupils may face significant challenges that may affect their learning due to the long distances from their homes to schools.
Teachers can effortlessly instruct their students using online virtual classrooms. Students can study anywhere if they can access a computer and the internet. Videos, music, animations, virtual whiteboards, virtual conference rooms, and live chats with students are some of the maths online learning tools teachers use in today’s modern online classrooms.
In contrast, traditional classrooms offer students a hands-on experience which is impossible in offline classes. For example, students can engage in real-time, in-depth conversations and arguments with their math tutors. Also, students will have access to extracurricular activities like sports, arts, etc., that help them grow mentally and physically.
How to Help Your Child with Maths: Brighterly’s Vision
Here is what regular classes do to kill logical thinking in children:
- Teach that completing assignments is the end goal of math.
- Tell answers right away, preventing kids from approaching the solution themselves.
- Make students learn by watching instead of doing.
- Focus on information instead of purpose.
- Terrorize kids with abstract, boring exercises.
Here is what we do to stand out and deliver easy maths for kids:
Our Students Do Math Instead of Watching Others Do It
In a regular class, students take notes while teachers explain math concepts and equations on the blackboard. At Brighterly, we teach kids math for real – solving problems accounts for up to 90% of the class time. We teach them how to understand formulas and even derive ones themselves.
We Give Hints Instead of Telling the Answers Straight Away
School teachers scatter pieces of information while students nod in silent indifference. We foster logical thinking in children. Instead of giving direct answers, we help them develop the solutions by giving them the right cues.
We Help Students Understand Why Math Works the Way It Does
What lies behind the calculations of surface area and volume? Regular classes load children with facts without explaining the real world behind them. At Brighterly, we teach the math kids will value. We help them understand – learning math is an absolute necessity as it’s the language to describe the properties of our world.